Airbnb launches new 'animal experiences'
Airbnb is not content with just your regular run of the mill experiences on their site. The company has now revealed that it has launched a new 'Animal Experiences' category that allow people to better understand animals through caring, expert hosts and set a new standard for animal tourism.
With 1,000 Experiences co-hosted by over 300 species and their human advocates, guests can now paddleboard with corgis, kayak with conservationists, learn alongside urban beekeepers or skateboard with a world record-winning bulldog.
The main aim of Airbnb Animal Experiences is to allow city dwellers the chance to reconnect with the natural world through hiking with rescue dogs, chilling out with alpacas or cuddling cows.
Guests will meet animals in places that allow for gentle observation. For those seeking more adventure, guests can discover arctic foxes or even help rescue puppies lost within the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone.
However, to ensure the welfare of the animals involved, Airbnb has launched a new animal welfare policy, in collaboration with World Animal Protection.
- Wild animals: there should be no direct contact including, but not limited to, petting, feeding, or riding animals
- Working animals: maximum one rider and never more than 20% of the animal’s weight, never to be overworked
- Marine mammals: should never be in captivity for entertainment
- Broader host business: should not feature elephant rides, big cat interactions, illegal wildlife trade, sporting events such as canned and trophy hunting, animals performing for entertainment
- Responsible travel: no wild animals as selfie props or any negative training techniques
Take a look at the full list of animal experiences here.