All of Italy is now under quarantine because of coronavirus
All of Italy’s 60-million people are going to be put under lockdown after the country’s Prime Minister Giuseppe extended emergency measures across the country.
The prime minister said that everyone should “stay at home” and banned all public gatherings and events due to the Coronavirus.
“There is no more time. I will take responsibility for these measures. Our future is in our hands,” he told reporters.
Italy currently has Europe’s worst outbreak of the COVID-19 virus, which so far has claimed 463 lives.
The PM said that the restrictions that previously were just around Northern Italy had been extended to the rest of the company.
“I am going to sign a decree that can be summarized as follows: I stay at home,” he said. “The whole of Italy will become a protected zone.”
Under the new rules, all cinemas, theatres, gyms, clubs, funerals, weddings and sporting events will be cancelled – including Serie A matches.
Schools and universities will remain closed until at least April 3.
The number of deaths from the coronavirus jumped from 366 to 463 on Monday, and the total number of cases rose almost 25%.
Checkpoints on motorways, train stations and airports have been introduced. Those who try and travel can face up to three months in jail if they break quarantine rules.
Esquire now has a newsletter – sign up to get it sent straight to your inbox.