Is Conor McGregor retiring from MMA for real this time?
Conor McGregor has announced his resignation from MMA on Twitter after a challenging 12 months. But does he mean it for real this time?
“Hey guys, quick announcement, I’ve decided to retire from the sport formally known as ‘Mixed Martial Art’ today. Wish all my old colleagues well going forward in competition,” McGregor said.
Hey guys quick announcement, I’ve decided to retire from the sport formally known as “Mixed Martial Art” today.— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) March 26, 2019
I wish all my old colleagues well going forward in competition.
I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement.
Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!
This is the second time the MMA superstar has announced his resignation from the sport. He first announced his retirement back in April 2016, once again, in a statement on Twitter.
"I have decided to retire young. Thanks for the cheese. Catch ya's later," McGregor tweeted in 2016.
Surprisingly McGregor appeared on "The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon" the day before his shock announcement but didn't once mntion his upcoming plans. Contrary to his statement on Twitter, McGregor made comments about a potential upcoming fight.
“We’re in talks for July, so we’ll see what happens. A lot of politics going on. The fight game is a mad game. But again, like I said, and to my fans, I am in shape and I am ready,” McGregor said on the show.
However, UFC president Dana White told ESPN that McGregor's retirement "totally makes sense."
White added, "He has been so fun to watch!!! He has accomplished incredible things in this sport. I am so happy for him, and I look forward to seeing him be as successful outside of the Octagon as he was in it."
Controversially, the Irishman was defeated by Khabib Nurmagomedov last October in a UFC lightweight title where he and members of Nurmagomedov's team were emroiled in fisticuffs. He along with members of his team also attacked a bus carrying Nurmagomedov and other UFC fighters, leading to his suspension.
The 30-year-old UFC former champion was arrested and charged with robbery earlier this month in Miami after allegedly destroying a fan's mobile phone. He was released on a $12,500 bond and is facing a lawsuit related to the incident.