Conor McGregor has retired from UFC and MMA
The announcement via Twitter was immediately thought to be a hoax. However, McGregor has since confirmed that he’s done with the Octagon.
McGregor previously said that he had accepted a proposed fight against UFC legend Anderson Silva. It was thought that McGregor was tied to a match this summer, include potential bouts against Justin Gaethie as well as Nate Diaz.
Hey guys I’ve decided to retire from fighting.
Thank you all for the amazing memories! What a ride it’s been!
Here is a picture of myself and my mother in Las Vegas post one of my World title wins!
Pick the home of your dreams Mags I love you!
Whatever you desire it’s yours pic.twitter.com/Dh4ijsZacZ— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) June 7, 2020
Dana White previously said that many people have been acting strangely due to the coronavirus pandemic, at this weekend’s UFC 250 event. However, he also did say that if McGregor was going to retire “nobody is pressuring anybody to fight.”
“If Conor McGregor feels he wants to retire, you know my feelings about retirement -- you should absolutely do it.” Said White, at the press conference to ESPN.
“And I love Conor ... there's a handful of people that have made this really fun for me. And he's one of them."
This isn’the first time McGregor has ‘retired’. In 2016, he said he was done with the UFC – again via Twitter – over a dispuite with his bout with Diaz. The UFC pulled McGregor from the fight after he refused to fly to the US for a news conference.
McGregor ‘retired’ a second time in March 2019, again over disputes with the UFC.