Death Stranding clocks up 7 game award nominations
Hideo Kojima’s Death Stranding has garnered seven nominations in the 2019 best new video game awards.
Elsewhere, Control and Sekiro have each accumulated five or more nominations, including Game of the Year. Other games that received nods include Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and Resident Evil 2 (the remake).
Categories include specific genres, such as Action-Adventure. Others include gongs for Creative Direction, Sound Design and Performance, as well as a load of new categories with regards to e-sports.
Nintendo will get at least one win, as all Family Game nominations fall under the developer.
Call of Duty has also received a nomination for the first time, in the mobile category. Mobile Warfare will go up against Sayonara Wild Hearts and Grindstone.
Now that the nominations have been revealed, a public vote is underway at The Game Awards website.
Winners will be determined by a combined ballot – the jury vote is weighted 90 per cent of the decision, while the public makes up the remaining 10 per cent.
The jury consists of 80 media outlets from around the world; 24 from the US, and 9 in the UK.
A separate collection of 17 global media outlets votes on e-sports categories.