Sony Pictures reassures fans that Spider-Man will be fine without the MCU
Sony Pictures Chariman and CEO Tony Vinciquerra has caused a stir as he’s said that Kevin Feige was "stretched too thin" and that Sony can take charge of the hero’s future just fine.
It’s been a few weeks now since we got the news that Spider-Man is out of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) for the foreseeable future. Without the creative direction and deep, deep pockets of Disney, countless Marvel fans around the globe are fearful and angry for the future of Tom Holland’s Spidey. Vinciquerra has told Variety however that there’s nothing to worry about.
Vinciquerra told Variety that he believes that Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige is “stretched incredibly thin” with all the new additions coming to the MCU. Vinciquerra cited this fact as a reason behind the breakdown in talks when Disney and Sony went to re-negotiate the co-financing of the next movie.
With the tsunami of Marvel content that is the upcoming phase four, Sony believes that Feige, the producer for the Holland Spider-Man films, would not have enough time to do the franchise justice as Sony could do alone.
“We had a great run with (Feige) on Spider-Man movies,” the Sony chief said. “We tried to see if there’s a way to work it out….the Marvel people are terrific people, we have great respect for them, but on the other hand we have some pretty terrific people of our own. Kevin didn’t do all the work.”
Devout Spider-Man fans obviously did not take this comment too kindly, erupting with claims that the Sony honcho was discrediting Feige and not giving him the recognition he deserves for the MCU Spider-Man films, which have actually turned out to be the most profitable in the character’s cinematic history.
Sony had been stuck on making sure we knew Kevin Feige wasn’t behind this latest incarnation of Spider-Man. Well the best one is the one who was in the MCU so I GUESS.— Venice, Bitch (@Darke_Sister) September 6, 2019
So @Sony was unwilling to give Kevin Feige credit, actually BLAMING him saying he was "stretched too thin" because of phase 4. They said "Spider-Man was fine before the crossover events" The only Spider-Man that was fine was ITSV
NOW THEY'RE MILKING THE CHARACTER WITH 6 TV SHOWS— Saucetin Uchiha (@saucetiiin) September 6, 2019
Spider-Man Far From Home, the most recent film, has swiftly become the most profitable film in the Spider-Man line up. The film has raked in over U.S. $1.12 billion worldwide. In contrast, the most profitable Spider-Man film outside the MCU was Spider-Man 3 which grossed over US $890 million worldwide.
The immense draw and popularity of the Marvel Cinematic Universe didn’t faze Vinciquerra though as he believes that:
“Spider-Man was fine before the event movies, did better with the event movies, and now that we have our own universe, he will play off the other characters as well,” Vinciquerra said. “I think we’re pretty capable of doing what we have to do here.”
However bullish you might find Sony’s prediction here, the optimism is shared by none other than Holland himself. Speaking to Entertainment Weekly at D23 Expo, the star assured that:
"The future for Spider-Man will be different, but it will be equally as awesome and amazing, and we’ll find new ways to make it even cooler.”
It’s been confirmed that Holland is still slated for the future Sony Spiderman films, there aren’t any details on the future of the hero’s storyline following the MCU severing. The confirmation of a second Venom film from Sony gets our Spidey-sense tingling that we'll see the web-slinger and the symbiote anti-hero meet on the big screen.