Lewis Hamilton is now the highest-paid F1 driver
- British driver Lewis Hamilton is the highest-paid driver in the history of the sport
- The previous record was held by German driver Michael Schumacher, whose salary peaked at an estimated $38 million in 1999
- The 34 year-old Mercedes driver is the reigning champion and has won five titles since he joined F1 in 2007
- The numbers are based solely on drivers' salary and do not include income from personal sponsors or various endorsement deals
Formula One drivers are known to live a grand life. From partying on yachts to hanging out with super models and living the high-life not only do they race in speeds of 350 kilometres per hour but they also make a lot of money doing just that.
Lewis Hamilton is officially the highest-earning driver in the history of Formula One. He overtook Michael Schumacher with an estimated career earnings of $489 million, according to Forbes.
Schumacher held the record for two decades until 2019 when Hamilton overtook him with his new contract with Mercedes. Recently retired Spanish driver Fernando Alonso comes in third on the list, ahead of fellow world champions Sebastian Vettel, Kimi Raikkonen and Jenson Button.
Hamilton known as the superstar of F1 world and is also the global face of brands including Tommy Hilfiger. Following the successful launch of the first TommyXLewis collaborative capsule for Fall 18, Lewis Hamilton continues as global brand ambassador for Tommy Hilfiger men’s for the S/S 19 season.
However, the five-time world champon, much to the horror of his F1 fans is considering a career move to Formula E.
The 34-year-old said that he is considering the ABB Formula E among other options, and that it will be the future of racing.
“That is something I have kind of been debating,” the reigning world champion told The Sun.
F1 Driver career earnings:
1. Lewis Hamilton - $489m
2. Michael Schumacher - $464m
3. Fernando Alonso - $468m
4. Sebastian Vettel - $358m
5. Kimi Raikkonen - $331m
6. Jenson Button - $147m
7. Ralf Schumacher - $121m
8. Jacques Villeneuve - $115m
9. Felipe Massa - $110m
= Rubens Barrichello - $110m