Mercedes-Benz's 'exceptional' E-Class
From the outside, the new version of Mercedes Benz’s E-Class Coupé is characteristically sleek, but beneath the hood is some of the cleverest technology in the industry right now. Here’s the inside track on a few of the innovations heading your way…
1. IT PRACTICALLY DRIVES ITS SELF. The E-Class’s semi-autonomous system called Drive Pilot, enables the vehicle to drive itself at speeds of up to 210 kh/h. The system is designed for use on motorways.
2. IT IS LIGHTER, QUIETER AND STEADIER With its aluminium-intensive build, this new generation of E-class is 70kg lighter than its predecessor. Air body control features multi-chamber air springs combined with continuously adjustable shock absorbers to improve driver comfort. The new research into its aerodynamic design also helps minimise in-car wind noise and highway stability.
3. IT LIGHTS UP YOUR DAY When the vehicle is opened, the taillight LEDs illuminate successively from the centre of the vehicle outwards. Upon locking the vehicle, the light sequence runs in the opposite direction. Both are additionally combined with an up and down dimming feature. .
4. AND IT LOOKS GOOD The vehicle’s coupé design is characterised by a distinctive front end with low-positioned sports grille and central star, a long bonnet with powerdomes. This E-Class is a sedan that comes with some serious swagger.
5. IT PROTECTS YOU FROM CROSS WINDS When there’s a shamal blowing, wind speeds can get up to levels that are dangerous for drivers. Integrated into the ESP sensory system is new Crosswind Assist technology that detects strong gusts of wind and momentary activates the brakes on one side of the car as a counterbalance.
6. IT PROTECTS YOU FROM SIDE IMPACT You can’t legislate against bad drivers, but you can give yourself extra protection with the new Pre-Safe Impulse Side – an industry-first development that prepares the car from an impending side impact. By rapidly inflating the front-seat bolster, it can move you further from an intrusion and help reduce the forces of impact.
7. IT PROTECTS YOUR SENSITIVE EARS Protecting your hearing during a collision is something that is often overlooked by engineers, not so at Mercedes. The E-Class comes with Pre-Safe Sound which senses an impending collision and emits a safe “pink noise” via the audio system to pre-trigger your ears’ natural defence against the loud noises of an accident.
8. IT’S THUMB CONTROLLED With the world glued to smartphones, Mercedes has included two smartphone-like touch pads on the steering wheel that allow the driver to control nearly all the car’s features without taking a hand off the wheel. Swipe and select from the central screen with your right thumb. Change settings on the screen between the gauges with your left. Easy.
9. IT KEEPS ITSELF IN LANE The smart Drive Pilot tech takes intelligent cruise control in a new direction: sideways. It can stop and go with the flow, and help you stay between the lines, even when cornering. For lazy people, it will allow you can change lanes (if the sensors detect the lane is clear) by touching the turnsignal lever.
10. IT CAN SEE AROUND CORNERS Debuting the world-first ‘Car-To-X’ communication technology, means that the E-Class talks to a central information resource that will send you in-car updates about driving conditions before you get to them. Your car can also report hazards, to help other E-Class drivers.